Hello All,
It has been a long time since I have updated this journal with my thoughts and observations, unfortunately I have not really had the time to compose these thoughts of mine due to a full-time university placement and work. Having such little time for anything else I often wonder as to why I do not heed the advice of my mother and sleep straight after work in order to balance out all the working between these two completely different contexts. I have thought that I could spare an hour or two reading through the New York Times and other newspapers and have a little time to reflect and get a good 7 hours sleep. Sadly I found out the wrong way about staying up too late and not sleeping. Gee I regret it. I have learned my lesson, always go straight to bed after work or face terrible consequences.
If I could recollect....
It was Thursday morning, after coming back home at 12:45 after a good night's shift I was faced with a powerful choice. This was a choice that can determine destinies and people's level of happiness. I speak of the choice between sleeping immediately or to defer it until some un-Godly hour when Farmers and morning breakfast show hosts wake up. I thought to myself "Man I am hungry! Hopefully I could eat something fruitful and something that is not endorsed by an Indy-Rock band turned popular" So I scoured the house, thinking and deciding upon what to eat. I ate something, it had substance. But now my mind was hungry for knowledge. So I read all the online newspapers I could find
Being US election night I could not resist jumping on the internet and reading all the reports and responses to the big decision. So I read and I read everything. By the time I was finished, I was slightly bored....I needed to consume more information. Sadly due to the fact that I have a dial-up internetised connection my options were limited. So like any good media consumer, I turned on the television. Boy, what a shock I got from what I saw. I was a rather interesting specticle of rotating ironies. I saw that because I jumped on Channel 10 and started watching my favourite televangelist, Benny Hinn and Friends. For all those who don't know Benny (and that is 95% of the public, thank goodness), Benny is a happy go lucky Born again religious zealot with a horse shaped face, with scary Dubya-like beedy eyes, a slick tan and consistently oily black haircut (the man's age, according to his website's profile is in his 50's). So he and his zealot buddys speak about popular super issues like their favourite passages and the love for overturning Roe v Wade.
This morality super-hour wasn't bad, it had a kind of quirky comedic dimension that became more and more conspicuous everytime good old Benny would clutch his manly hands together and let one rip. Not a massive bout of flatulance no, but a sombre prayer. It was all well and good until they went to the commercials, thats when the irony starts. The first commercial was one of those revolting ads where some random horrid women from goodness-knows-where embrace each other in this dance of moral death..."Call me" the ad says....man what a way to ruin my morality hour. The second ad was far more comprehensive, you could have this lady (that looks a lot like Rosario Dawson) strip completely naked and the third ad was a collection of ladies stripping and embracing each other while having ice-cream. "My goodness "I thought, what lousy advertising, I switched channels thinking I won't see Benny Hinn again.
The next channel was an even greater blunder....think about this....imagine you had this idiotic Infra-red microwave thingy that made useless crap being sold by none other than everyone's favourite D-grade action star Mr.T. Gee, seeing Mr.T see his "Mr. T's Microwave" was a new development that I could never imagine. So there I was hanging on to every word of this informercial just waiting for the man to use his great repitious line. I then realised that it would have been productive to have slept than to have seen these most horrid programs. But biddy that. Mr T.
End of recollection....
I must say that there seems to be this unwritten convention that when one mentions or uses Mr.T then they too would be dragged down to Mr.T status. If this is to occur perhaps there is merit in me assembling my own squad of essentrically minded folks determined to wear zany fashions and say even more zanier things. With that I think I will conclude this somewhat overrated observation with an obvious quote from an obvious show. "This is like your song about Mr T. Response "I pity a fool who doesn't like.......... ......... ............ .......he" Many thanks for your attention and I hope I shall update soon!
Yours Sincerely,
Altug Kayi
It has been a long time since I have updated this journal with my thoughts and observations, unfortunately I have not really had the time to compose these thoughts of mine due to a full-time university placement and work. Having such little time for anything else I often wonder as to why I do not heed the advice of my mother and sleep straight after work in order to balance out all the working between these two completely different contexts. I have thought that I could spare an hour or two reading through the New York Times and other newspapers and have a little time to reflect and get a good 7 hours sleep. Sadly I found out the wrong way about staying up too late and not sleeping. Gee I regret it. I have learned my lesson, always go straight to bed after work or face terrible consequences.
If I could recollect....
It was Thursday morning, after coming back home at 12:45 after a good night's shift I was faced with a powerful choice. This was a choice that can determine destinies and people's level of happiness. I speak of the choice between sleeping immediately or to defer it until some un-Godly hour when Farmers and morning breakfast show hosts wake up. I thought to myself "Man I am hungry! Hopefully I could eat something fruitful and something that is not endorsed by an Indy-Rock band turned popular" So I scoured the house, thinking and deciding upon what to eat. I ate something, it had substance. But now my mind was hungry for knowledge. So I read all the online newspapers I could find
Being US election night I could not resist jumping on the internet and reading all the reports and responses to the big decision. So I read and I read everything. By the time I was finished, I was slightly bored....I needed to consume more information. Sadly due to the fact that I have a dial-up internetised connection my options were limited. So like any good media consumer, I turned on the television. Boy, what a shock I got from what I saw. I was a rather interesting specticle of rotating ironies. I saw that because I jumped on Channel 10 and started watching my favourite televangelist, Benny Hinn and Friends. For all those who don't know Benny (and that is 95% of the public, thank goodness), Benny is a happy go lucky Born again religious zealot with a horse shaped face, with scary Dubya-like beedy eyes, a slick tan and consistently oily black haircut (the man's age, according to his website's profile is in his 50's). So he and his zealot buddys speak about popular super issues like their favourite passages and the love for overturning Roe v Wade.
This morality super-hour wasn't bad, it had a kind of quirky comedic dimension that became more and more conspicuous everytime good old Benny would clutch his manly hands together and let one rip. Not a massive bout of flatulance no, but a sombre prayer. It was all well and good until they went to the commercials, thats when the irony starts. The first commercial was one of those revolting ads where some random horrid women from goodness-knows-where embrace each other in this dance of moral death..."Call me" the ad says....man what a way to ruin my morality hour. The second ad was far more comprehensive, you could have this lady (that looks a lot like Rosario Dawson) strip completely naked and the third ad was a collection of ladies stripping and embracing each other while having ice-cream. "My goodness "I thought, what lousy advertising, I switched channels thinking I won't see Benny Hinn again.
The next channel was an even greater blunder....think about this....imagine you had this idiotic Infra-red microwave thingy that made useless crap being sold by none other than everyone's favourite D-grade action star Mr.T. Gee, seeing Mr.T see his "Mr. T's Microwave" was a new development that I could never imagine. So there I was hanging on to every word of this informercial just waiting for the man to use his great repitious line. I then realised that it would have been productive to have slept than to have seen these most horrid programs. But biddy that. Mr T.
End of recollection....
I must say that there seems to be this unwritten convention that when one mentions or uses Mr.T then they too would be dragged down to Mr.T status. If this is to occur perhaps there is merit in me assembling my own squad of essentrically minded folks determined to wear zany fashions and say even more zanier things. With that I think I will conclude this somewhat overrated observation with an obvious quote from an obvious show. "This is like your song about Mr T. Response "I pity a fool who doesn't like.......... ......... ............ .......he" Many thanks for your attention and I hope I shall update soon!
Yours Sincerely,
Altug Kayi
No comments:
Post a Comment