Indecent Proposal, the film that will be remembered for many a year because its controversial premise was seen by many to be pushing society's moral boundaries. Well I can now just say that Mr. Redford, who played the "rich pimping dude" in the film has just been outflanked. Now you must be asking yourself "How does anything in our lifetime outdo Robert Redford's perverted maneuvers in Indecent Proposal?"
Let me elaborate...
At the beginning of May it was an exciting period, it was a time of new promotions everywhere. Some really innovative stuff and most importantly some enticing competitions that will really inspire various customers to participate. Generally speaking the purpose of competitions is to appeal to a broad base of society in order to strengthen the loyalty of as many people as possible. In saying this, when I saw the new Starburst lolly bag competition I was really perplexed. I think the name and the image with it says it all.
Let me elaborate...
At the beginning of May it was an exciting period, it was a time of new promotions everywhere. Some really innovative stuff and most importantly some enticing competitions that will really inspire various customers to participate. Generally speaking the purpose of competitions is to appeal to a broad base of society in order to strengthen the loyalty of as many people as possible. In saying this, when I saw the new Starburst lolly bag competition I was really perplexed. I think the name and the image with it says it all.
(The Image of the strange competition)
Now when looking at this title without the accompanying image, one would easily assume that it is pretty much a normal, run-of-the-mill competition. But the thing that would throw off any person was the secondary image which essentially implied that this was a different kind of competition.The Accompanying image
Yes, I know what you are thinking. As soon as I say this on the Starburst packet I thought to myself "Good God!!! What kind of sickening, deranged competition is this" It seems as though the good folks at the Starburst marketing department thought that there was a section of society they needed to appeal to. I guess the rewards attached to gaining the loyalty of Gerontophiles and people obsessed with personal intimacy with their employers would bring its own kind of benefits. But the motivation is certainly strange, when looking at the packet one would interpret the competition are being one where Starburst would offer your chosen boss $100,000 dollars for an unspecified period of "togetherness" but if your employer refuses you can just do it with the old guy.
Robert be not proud.
Man what a most strange competition, although I have to admit that the Starburst deal was a success. I guess the appeal of the old man appealed to older demographic as he does present himself to be well dressed and groomed and in a successful position as possible-replacement-boss man. If there are any old or young folks out there that wish to about enquire about the old guy or his availability please contact http://www.starburst.com.au/contact.aspx this website. End of elaboration...
Well I must say that competitions are always great to enter, the very idea that ordinary citizens can win magnificent things with little effort can be very empowering. The latest 50 million dollar lotto draw attracted an amazing response and the starburst "screw the boss" campaign had similar success. Now the question is what is to happen to the old guy? Is he to become a gimp-like character to the hoards of people that may have won the competition? Well, lets all hope it helps him like it helped Robert Redford. Many thanks to all who have participated with this thoughtful academic discussion and to all a good weekend.
Yours Sincerely,
Altug Kayi



1 comment:
back in a bad way altug, love it :)
Post a Comment