Over the past few months there has been a civil war developing within the arena of petrol and convenience stores. There are two, passion waring sides to this tale and the stakes as always are high. The subject of this war is all in regards to whether one should move their car after fueling it or leave it there. On the "Stay" side are the grannies, the car cleaners, the pro-security consumers, old-school petrol consumers, the incoherent and a the maniacal and on the "Move" side are Baby -boomers, the ipod generation, civil libertarians, people who want to drive off without paying and people who drive really really big cars. While some within these groups would be part of the other, these are two waring tribes who are unequivocal about their conflicting positions.
If I can recollect...
It was a busy Tuesday night and once more customers were poring in for their petrol fix. Everyone is always in a big rush and waiting outside in a queue to many is unbearable. So it was 7:20 PM and the place was nuts, the price was pretty cheap back then. The one thing that many customers began to complain about was the fact that others weren't moving, it was a moral crusade to persuade others to adopt this somewhat radical motion as a way of betterment for society. At this time I was a skeptic, my own thoughts were that if this were to be taken up then it would be a haven for the driver-offers. They would exploit the goodwill of others and simply drive away. It would be a win for the Drive Off Association, an evil organization created for not paying anything for petrol and seeking a minimum 10% discount at the Gap.
But most amazingly, people started moving their vehicles forward without any trouble and it worked out well. I was persuaded that it would work for the better but sadly there were some that weren't so quick to adapt to this new development. There were many examples of defiance where the non-movers obliviously go outside their car and clean the windows and the wheels, they would even look at the engine while there were 2 cars behind them. It was bittersweet to witness, hilarious as if it were a great comedy sketch, horrible because real people were waiting an extra 20 minutes.
I have to say that there have been arguments, discussions and debates but I think that the two sides are ready to battle each other in a kind of lycra-laden gladiator battle to decide the outcome. I have to say that one of most common questions people ask me is "Should I move my car or leave it there?" My view has always been this, moving the vehicle is admirable exercise but should only be done when the driver knows the pump number and the dollar amount for the fuel but if there isn't anyone behind it would be fine to leave the car there. But in saying this, it would always be the driver's own assessment of the context and decision that is vital.
Well folks, my apologies for my absence from this online journal, sadly my attention has been taken by my assignments, but I think that in a week's time all shall be normal again. Many thanks for your attention. Have a good afternoon/goodnight.
Yours Sincerely,
Altug Kayi
The Leader of the Drive Off Association
But most amazingly, people started moving their vehicles forward without any trouble and it worked out well. I was persuaded that it would work for the better but sadly there were some that weren't so quick to adapt to this new development. There were many examples of defiance where the non-movers obliviously go outside their car and clean the windows and the wheels, they would even look at the engine while there were 2 cars behind them. It was bittersweet to witness, hilarious as if it were a great comedy sketch, horrible because real people were waiting an extra 20 minutes.
Mike Huckabee generally inflexible to change
End of Recollection...I have to say that there have been arguments, discussions and debates but I think that the two sides are ready to battle each other in a kind of lycra-laden gladiator battle to decide the outcome. I have to say that one of most common questions people ask me is "Should I move my car or leave it there?" My view has always been this, moving the vehicle is admirable exercise but should only be done when the driver knows the pump number and the dollar amount for the fuel but if there isn't anyone behind it would be fine to leave the car there. But in saying this, it would always be the driver's own assessment of the context and decision that is vital.
Well folks, my apologies for my absence from this online journal, sadly my attention has been taken by my assignments, but I think that in a week's time all shall be normal again. Many thanks for your attention. Have a good afternoon/goodnight.
Yours Sincerely,
Altug Kayi


No comments:
Post a Comment